Running is a popular form of physical activity and races are getting bigger and bigger. Running is an appealing exercise because it doesnt cost a lot to take part and you can run at any time that suits you.
Health benefits of running
Regular running offers many health benefits. Running can help with the following:
- help to build strong bones, as it is a aerobic exercise
- strengthen muscles
- improve cardiovascular fitness
- burn plenty of kilojoules
- help maintain a healthy weight.
Goals you can set for running
Think about what you want to achieve from running? Issues to consider may include:
- Getting fit – if you’re a beginner, you should start with brisk walking, progress to jogging and work up to running. This should take a few months.
- General fitness – mix your running with other forms of exercise (such as swimming or strength training) to maximise your overall fitness.
- Weight loss – adjust your diet to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, wholegrain cereals and low-fat dairy products. Cut back on dietary fats, takeaway foods, soft drinks and sugar.
- Competition – running clubs may offer competitive events. Most clubs have sessions designed for beginners through to advanced runners. You can pit your running skills against others in fun runs or marathons. Join a local park run or see if there is a club in your area.
Some runners choose to participate in fun runs, athletics races, trail runs or marathons. If you are interested in running with other runners or looking for a club, contact KRC and come and join our Club runs.